- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Pea soup
A quick and easy soup that's packed full of flavour. Enjoy with crusty fresh bread, if desired.
42 people made this
- 4 large leeks, about 3cm diameter, white parts only
- 90g butter
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 litre water
- 2-4 cubes chicken stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm cubes
- 225g frozen petits pois or fresh baby peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 1 tablespoon of dried mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 tablespoons soured cream or yoghurt
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then cut again lengthwise. Now cut the leeks into small chunks. Place in a large bowl and rinse in cold water to clean. Strain through a sieve.
- In a medium size heavy bottom cooking pot, melt butter on low heat. Add chopped leeks and cook for 10 minutes until slightly softened. Add stock, water, chicken stock cubes, potatoes and bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peas, chopped mint, dill, salt, white pepper and cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender soft.
- Puree soup with a hand blender or puree in a food processor or liquidiser, then return to the cooking pot and reheat if necessary. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- When serving, add 1 dollop of soured cream or yoghurt or swirl into the soup in each bowl served.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (4)
absolutely gorgeous! have made it twice now and its going on the menu of the tearooms where I work!-05 Apr 2011
Definitely a keeper. Had no dill available and only put three stock cubes in total, however cannot fault the soup in any way. Will make regularly.-14 Feb 2017
Really delicious, just made it. Was pleasantly surprised!!-10 Dec 2013