- Dish type
- Side dish
This is an incredibly tasty pasta sauce, which is a cinch to make. Tomatoes are roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, chillies and balsamic vinegar.
207 people made this
- 2kg ripe tomatoes, halved
- 125ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful chillies, kept whole
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- sugar to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Mix together olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, chillies and vinegar in a large baking dish. Swirl the tomatoes in the mixture to coat, then arrange cut side up.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with a little sugar and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Puree everything together and pass through a sieve. Pour into sterilised jars until needed.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(9)
Reviews in English (9)
How long will it store for .-20 Sep 2013
Excellent recipe. We bottle it to take away in our motorhome to use for spaghetti bolognaise. Has anyone tried this with frozen tomatoes?-10 Jul 2014
This is lovely as it is but, I forgot about it and it was in the oven for two hours . The tomatoes had caramelised and cooked down more which, when I blitzed it, gave a terrific rich, concentrated flavour. I will use it a sauce/soup base rather than on its own. One of the best recipes for tomato sauce that I have made.-11 Oct 2013