- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
This shortbread isn't just tasty, but it's also gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan-friendly! If you're allergic to nuts, simply omit the hazelnuts.
11 people made this
- 250g dairy-free margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 280g gluten-free plain flour
- 4 tablespoons ground rice or rice flour
- 60g chopped hazelnuts (optional)
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:55min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3.
- Cream together margarine, vanilla and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours and then add to the creamed mixture. Stir until combined. Add hazelnuts at this stage, if using.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Press into a lined baking tin and cut into squares.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until pale golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and re-cut the squares whilst hot. Cool in tin. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (3)
I made this as I can't have dairy and my friend can't have gluten and thought I could share it with her. I didn't think it was very nice. The rice flour was very over powering and took over the flavour.-24 Oct 2010(Review from this site AU | NZ)
I just made this for the members of my family who are gluten & dairy intolerant. It’s a great recipe - easy to make and delicious to eat!-16 Dec 2017(Review from this site AU | NZ)
I tweaked this recipe a bit. As I had little Nuttelex I substituted this with 100 ml canola oil and 2 tbsp Nuttelex. Added 1/4 tsp baking powder. Measurements - 280 g homemade gluten free flour (sorghum+rice+tapioca starch) and 140 g sugar. No nuts means it is FAILSAFE. Came out really crispy and kids loved it!-09 Feb 2014(Review from this site AU | NZ)