- Meat and poultry
- Beef curry
This is a very nice and very spicy beef curry. Serve with naan bread and rice for a lovely meal.
188 people made this
- 500g diced lean beef, washed well and drained
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 3 fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 3-6 dried red chillies or 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 250ml beef or vegetable stock, or plain water
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Heat oil in large pot, add cubed beef and saute until golden brown, 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add onions, chillies, garlic, salt and all spices. Stir in 2-3 minutes till an aroma develops.
- In a bowl mix together tomato puree, lemon juice and stock. Then pour half the mixture over the meat and cook on medium-high stirring constantly until almost dry. Reduce heat and pour over remaining mixture and mix thoroughly. If too thick add a little water.
- Cover with lid and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally. Can be served with vegetables or rice.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(16)
Reviews in English (16)
I've made this curry twice now and both times it turned out very well. My husband is a big fan of curry and this was the best one I've ever made!! Served with basmati rice and some home made onion bahjees - excellent recipe - thank you-17 Aug 2012
I used this recipe for some left over roast beef. It is an amazing curry. loved it.-24 Jan 2012
plenty of fire and plenty of aromatic flavour. Excellent.-28 Mar 2012