- Dish type
- Vegetable salad
- Cabbage salad
This is a nice change from the usual coleslaw and the tangy vinaigrette is one you will want to make over and over! Goes well with pork.
14 people made this
- 2 small red onions
- 425g (15 oz) finely shredded green cabbage
- 425g (15 oz) finely shredded red cabbage
- 5 carrots, peeled and grated
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 175ml (6 fl oz) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- salt to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:20min
- Peel the onions and half lengthwise. Thinly slice onion halves. Place onion in a bowl of ice water, and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- In a large heatproof bowl, toss together the green and red cabbage, onion, carrot and vinegar.
- In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the caraway and mustard seeds, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the mustard seeds stop popping. Drizzle the hot oil mixture immediately over the cabbage mixture and toss the coleslaw well. Add salt to taste and toss again. Chill before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(12)
Reviews in English (9)
by LINDA MCLEAN
I thought this was really good, but I'm a cabbage lover, especially if it's in the raw. I had to omit the carrots due to allergies, used dijon mustard instead of the seeds and added my own seasonings. Yummy Kimber!-25 Mar 2003
We really enjoyed this. I made it as written and thought it was a little heavy on the oil and light on the vinegar for me - easy enough to adjust. I loved the way the veggies wilted a little when the warm dressing was tossed in. The caraway and mustardseed are delightful, but don't make this salad if you don't like them (duh). Thanks for the recipe!-12 Sep 2009
Really tastey, I suggest more caraway and more vinegar. Make sure you cut the cabbage very fine so that the hot oil going on top is the most dramatic. :D-24 Oct 2009