- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
I promise you, you will not be disappointed with these biscuit-like pastries. This recipe was given to me by a friend but I've slightly altered it. The icing at the end is optional, but don't skip it - it adds a nice final touch.
30 people made this
- 250g self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 90g butter, cubed
- 160ml milk
- 120g butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons soft dark brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:12min ›Ready in:37min
- Preheat oven to 210 C / Gas 6-7.
- Sift flour and salt into bowl, then rub butter into flour using your fingertips.
- Make a well in the centre and add almost all the milk. Mix lightly with a flat-bladed knife to a soft dough (add the rest of the milk if necessary).
- Knead dough briefly on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll out to a 25 x 40cm rectangle of 5mm thickness.
- To make the filling: Beat the butter with dark brown soft sugar and cinnamon with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the dough rectangle.
- Roll up dough from the long side and using a sharp knife, slice the dough into 3cm pieces.
- Place scroll pieces on to the greased tray cut-side up. Cook for 12 minutes or until golden.
- Drizzle with icing.
- To make the icing: Combine icing sugar and boiling water in a small bowl beat until smooth.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(10)
Reviews in English (12)
Decent recipe!I was a bit generous with the milk so my dough was quite sticky - but other than that the baking part of it was fun.They're quick to make and they smelled HEAVENLY when they were done. I was a bit disappointed in the taste - the dough dried out a tiny bit and they weren't sweet, really. But with the addition of the icing sugar they tasted nice.-19 Feb 2016
Used different ingredients.I used margarine instead of butter - purely because of what i had in my kitchen, and it still turned out very yummy!!! Also used melted marg in the icing instead of boiling water and just drizzled it over just before serving.-18 May 2010(Review from this site AU | NZ)
LOVED this recipie, REALLY easy to make and tasted gorgeous! Only lasted all of 5 mins when out of the oven though... kids devoured them! Would be great as a lunch box treat too I think. Will make more, much more tomorrow! Thank you so much for this great cook! :-) :-)-04 Jan 2011(Review from this site AU | NZ)