- Dish type
Gorgeous meringues - gooey on the inside, with a hint of coconut. Serve with a tropical flavoured sorbet - mango, pineapple, passion fruit - for a refreshing summer pudding.
49 people made this
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 85g (3 oz) icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 120 C / Gas mark 1/2.
- In small bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar is completely dissolved. Whites should stand in stiff glossy peaks. With a silicone spatula, gently fold in coconut and almond extract until mixed.
- Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto large baking tray, about 2.5cm (1 in) apart.
- Bake 1 hour or until dry. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Watch our How to make meringues video for a foolproof, step-by-step guide to making perfect meringues!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(38)
Reviews in English (36)
Altered ingredient amounts.better if cooked at 170F. (76C) for at least 2 hours or until dried out-28 Jan 2010
Altered ingredient amounts.These were great! I doubled the recipe as I had 4 egg whites to use up. Also doubled the amount of coconut after that. They turned out perfectly.-21 Jul 2008
These were very good, I enjoyed them a lot. I don't think I will add the almond extract next time though.-21 Jul 2008