- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Chicken and rice
- Chicken risotto
This is my version of Pumpkin Risotto. You can use butternut squash instead of pumpkin, if desired.
13 people made this
- 400g pumpkin, cubed
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cooked and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 370g Arborio rice
- 1.25 litres chicken stock, warm
- 250g feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 30g baby spinach, roughly chopped
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:55min
- Place pumpkin in a 200 C / Gas 6 oven and roast til tender.
- While pumpkin is roasting, cook your chicken breasts. (I usually use a pre-cooked chicken from the supermarket for this recipe, the meat is juicy and tender and less fuss.)
- While pumpkin is roasting, add your oil, onion and garlic to a large saucepan on medium heat and cook. Careful not to brown.
- Once onion is cooked, add your rice and stir well to coat in the oil. Allow to heat for a couple of minutes.
- A ladleful at a time, add your stock while continuing to stir, ensuring the liquid is absorbed before each addition.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add your feta and pesto and mix through well. The feta should melt through the rice after a couple of minutes.
- After adding the final ladle of stock, add in the spinach, chicken and pumpkin and mix through carefully so as to not mush the pumpkin. Place the lid on the pot and leave for 5 minutes. The rice mix should be a little wet at this point, this will be absorbed in the final 5 minutes.
Use for leftovers
The flavour tends to intensify overnight so leftovers are great taken to work the next day, if there are any leftovers.
If more (or less) stock is required add (or remove) as necessary.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(4)
Reviews in English (4)
Fabulous recipe for using left-over chicken meat! Good level of veggie content and sublime flavours.I substituted butternut squash for pumpkin. I peeled it, chopped it up, coated it with olive oil and some salt and pepper, and then roasted it. A good-sized squash yields about twice as much as you need for this recipe. (I prepared all of it the same way as I plan to use the rest of the squash in a Quinoa-Spinach-Squash salad. Yum!)-14 Mar 2014
Made this tonight for the family. They loved it ! Was abit scared as its my first time iv made risotto but was so simple and easy.-29 Jan 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)