- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Berry cake
This is a deceptively simple cake to make, which is great on a hot summer day. The blueberry sauce is the cake's crowning glory!
3 people made this
- For the base
- 70g butter, cold
- 65g dark brown soft sugar
- 125g flour
- 50g pecans, finely chopped
- Ice cream cake
- 2L vanilla ice cream
- 150g frozen blueberries
- 150g frozen raspberries
- Blueberry Sauce
- 100g frozen blueberries
- 20g sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- For the base: Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease or line a 23cm springform cake tin.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the butter, dark brown soft sugar and flour with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into bottom of tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before assembling.
- To assemble the ice cream cake: Remove 1L of ice cream from the freezer and let it soften, but do not allow to melt. Spoon into a large bowl.
- Add the frozen blueberries, using a large metal spoon, gently folding the mixture and crushing the berries a bit, until well combined. Spoon this ice cream mixture on top of the cooled base.
- Cover and return to freezer for 30 minutes to firm up the first layer, then repeat for the remaining 1L of ice cream and raspberries. Cover and freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.
- For the sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until cornflour dissolves. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate.