- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Apple cake
This apple cake recipe was in my mum's recipe collection that I inherited. Perfectly spiced with cinnamon, it is an apple lover's dream.
145 people made this
- 250g (9 oz) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4 oz) butter
- 350g (12 oz) apple sauce or purée
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 150g (5 oz) sultanas
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour fluted or straight sided tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy. Mix in apple sauce and treacle.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat well to moisten. Fold in the sultanas.
- Pour into prepared tube pan. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean. Cake will not rise to top of pan. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(80)
Reviews in English (70)
Altered ingredient amounts.Made half quantity, used syrup instead of treacle (the recipe may have originally meant syrup, my mum used to call golden syrup "treacle"). Also what is a tube pan? I use a loaf tin.-30 Nov 2010
please could you tell me what shape a tube pan is, the photo of the cake looks as if it is cut into squares, could i bake it in a square or round tin ?-06 Aug 2008
Altered ingredient amounts.This recipe was quick and easy. I tried it out on my colleaugues and they all have to have the recipe! I have made it 3 times in one week and it is quickly becoming famous. I do recommend using 1/4 teaspoon cloves instead of 1 teaspoon. Also, I didn't need to cook as long as the recipe said. This recipe also works great witht he KitchenAide stand mixer.-18 Jul 2008