- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Banana cake
- Banana bread
This is a classic banana bread recipe adapted with lower sugar than the original Check out suggestions below for some possible substitutions which can make it even healthier. This has been a favourite in our family for nearly 10 years.
30 people made this
- 440g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150g raw sugar
- 4 eggs
- 160ml rapeseed oil
- 450g mashed banana – quite ripe if possible
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease two 20x10cm loaf tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, add oil and mashed banana and mix until combined.
- Add to sifted ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared tins either lined with baking parchment or buttered and floured (or use silicone non-stick tins) and bake about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Always check your banana bread at regular intervals as not all ovens are calibrated the same. If the top of the bread browns too quickly during baking, cover with foil.
You can use softened butter instead of the oil, or replace half the oil with apple sauce.
Raw sugar or caster sugar can be used (or combined).
You can substitute all or part of the flour for wholemeal flour.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (7)
I cooked this and everyone loved it. I added 1.5 tsp of cinnamon and substitued butter for the oil.-17 Dec 2011(Review from this site AU | NZ)
Thanks for this super recipe. I baked three cakes for my colleagues and they all loved it!The only thing I changed with the recipe is that I added choc chips and it was very yummy It'll definitely be one of my favourites. Cheers!-16 Mar 2011(Review from this site AU | NZ)