- Dish type
- Side dish
This is a chunky cranberry sauce with apple, sultanas and spices. I suppose it's more like a chutney, but either way it's great with leftover turkey on Boxing Day.
74 people made this
- 225ml (8 fl oz) water
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 350g (12 oz) fresh cranberries
- 1 large apple - peeled, cored and diced
- 7 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 75g (3 oz) sultanas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:25min
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Add the cranberries, apple, cider vinegar, sultanas and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour mixture into a mixing bowl. Place cling film or greaseproof paper directly on the surface of the sauce. Cool to room temperature and serve, or cover and refrigerate. Bring sauce to room temperature before serving.
You can try substituting 1 teaspoon mixed spice for the cinnamon, ginger and allspice.
Watch how to make three different kinds of cranberry sauce starting with an easy base recipe in our How to make cranberry sauce video.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(70)
Reviews in English (61)
Something else.I have made this for 4 years now, with excellent results every time. I use the recipe as written. The only thing different is that I simmer for much longer than 10 minutes. It's more like 20 minutes, and then I turn the heat off and mash it all together with a potato masher. It is heavenly! Tomorrow it will be served at room temperature for all to enjoy. ~ Cheers-21 Jul 2008
by AUNTIE SARAH
Altered ingredient amounts.I've never eaten cranberry sauce, it just seemed yucky to me, but it was requested for christmas and this recipe seemed interesting. I loved it! I think it was the combination of fresh cranberries and apples with all the lovely spices! I couldn't wait to eat the leftover turkey with this and the house smelled wonderful. I only changed a couple of things...only 4tbsp of cider vinegar, added 2 tbsp of dark brown sugar and left out the sultanas. This was YUMMY!-21 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts.Everyone absolutely RAVED about this! It was so flavourful and the vinegar gave it a nice twist (but I only used 5 TBSP). I loved that it wasn't just cranberries, the other fruits gave nice textures and the apples balanced out the tartness of the cranberries. Will definately be making this for future Christmas lunches!-21 Jul 2008