- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Birthday cake
This chocolate cake recipe is very simple - it could be said it is a purist's chocolate cake. It was my first cake recipe and is still one of my favourite chocolate cakes! You can use ground walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or whichever nut you prefer.
7 people made this
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 100g ground nuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 measures of rum
- 125ml of lukewarm coffee
- 250g plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- chocolate icing or ganache (optional)
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Beat butter until fluffy, gradually beating in sugar and eggs. Next, one by one, add the nuts, cinnamon, cocoa, rum and lukewarm coffee.
- Mix flour and baking powder and gradually add to the mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4 and grease a round baking tin. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
- Let cake cool and enjoy as is, or cover with icing or ganache as desired.