- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Birthday cake
- Kids' birthday cakes
This is one of the first vegan cakes I ever made, after a couple of personal tweaks it is now just perfect! If heated it becomes the most amazing chocolate fudge cake - fantastic with a scoop of soya ice cream or vegan cream! As you can see the one in the photo was for a birthday, but this is an "anytime" cake! Enjoy!
Yorkshire, England, UK
80 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 12 servings
- 160g plain flour
- 200g light brown sugar
- 40g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean)
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 30ml maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Chocolate glaze
- 100g light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (60g) vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons chocolate or vanilla soya milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:3hr cooling › Ready in:3hr45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a ring style or a 20cm (8 in) square tin. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb and salt with a fork, making sure it's really well blended.
- In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients then combine with the dry, using a fork until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 30 minutes or until well risen and a skewer comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours).
- In a small saucepan, slowly bring the sugar, cocoa, margarine and soya milk to the boil. Stir frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes stirring continuously. It will look a bit "gloopy", but don't worry, it's just the bubbles!
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir for a further 5 minutes. It will begin to thicken. Add the vanilla then immediately pour over the cake. The glaze dries very quickly so spread it immediately! Let it cool for a further hour (if you can wait that long!!).
For the glaze:
For an extra chocolaty kick, add a packet of choc chips!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(12)
Reviews in English (12)
I made this a few weeks ago and it was delicious but was quite flat so made two to give it some depth for a birthday cake. next time i made it I doubled the quantity but I left all the ingredients except the cocoa in the bowl as I ran out of cocoa powder and therefore had to wait a couple of hours before adding it and putting into two tins. to my surprise it rose in both tins beautifully and so i had last Satursday a huge mountain of a cake with double helpings of glaze!! Maybe the other ingredients react when left but its the only thing i did differently.It is amazing though and another friend who has a dairy free egg free little one like mine has asked for the recipe. Cannot recommend this cake highly enough Yum doesnt cover it!!-23 May 2011
Holy Moly! This cake is awesome. Absolutely delicious.-27 Oct 2011
deeeelicious! The glaze especially, is to die for....-28 Apr 2011