- Dish type
- Fruit desserts
- Rhubarb crumble
A simple and easy rhubarb crumble recipe, perfect to serve with custard, cream or ice cream. I used to use a rhubarb crumble recipe from Delia, but this is even better!
51 people made this
- 1.25kg rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 4 to 5 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 90g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 8 tablespoons porridge oats
- 8 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 125g dark brown soft sugar
- 8 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:40min ›Extra time:1hr10min › Ready in:2hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5. Grease a 20 or 23cm baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the rhubarb with demerara sugar, lemon zest and juice. Tip into the prepared baking dish.
- In a clean bowl, combine the diced butter with the flour, brown sugar, oats, hazelnuts and cinnamon. Rub together until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the rhubarb is tender and the topping is golden, about 40 to 50 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (3)
The hazelnuts made a lovely addition! We really enjoyed it-27 Feb 2016
As a newbie baker, I rely heavily on recipes being accurate, and this one didn't seem to be. The instruction for the rhubarb said to "combine with the sugar..." so I added both lots of sugar, not realising that then dark sugar had to go into the crumble mix. My crumble mix was therefore depleted and barely covered the rhubarb - it looked like nearly double the quantity of crumble would be needed.-28 Mar 2017
Was looking for an easy but interesting crumble, googled and this one came up. Loved the addition of rolled oats and hazelnuts. Will definitely be using this recipe (and this site) again and again.-25 May 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)