- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
Vegetarian stuffed peppers with rice and mushrooms, feta and Cheddar cheese and a kick of garlic and chilli!
Milton Keynes, England, UK
46 people made this
- 2 large peppers
- 1 crushed garlic clove (or garlic paste)
- 1 small tube chilli paste (to taste)
- 1 (120g) packet golden savoury rice, such as Batchelors
- olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 closed cap mushrooms, chopped
- 140g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 large handful grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 servings fresh salad
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Halve the peppers lengthways. Keep on the stalks for decoration.
- Scoop out the seeds from peppers and discard.
- Take the crushed garlic (or garlic paste) and the chilli paste and smear them inside the the peppers, covering all of flesh.
- Place peppers in the oven on a baking tray. Cook the golden savoury rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Gently fry the onion and mushroom until soft and place them in to a large bowl.
- Once rice is cooked, add it to the bowl of cooked spring onion and mushrooms and mix in.
- Add the cubed feta to the rice mixture along with half of the grated Cheddar. Mix it all in together.
- Take the peppers out of the oven when they are beginning to go soft. Spoon the rice and cheese mixture into the pepper halves, packing them tightly with the spoon. Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar onto the tops of each filled pepper and return them to the hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a bed of salad on each plate, adding the remaining feta cubes to the salad. Dress the salad to taste.
- Remove the pepper halves from the oven and place upon the beds of salad.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (3)
These were fantastic. Now, with a username like bac0n you may guess that vegetarian dishes aren't normally my thing but for these I am more than willing to make an exception. Tried them out in preparation for making dinner for family in a couple of days and I'm sure they will go down a storm. Thanks.-16 Aug 2012
Made this for my vegetarian sister. She loved it.Used fresh garlic finely chopped and cooked it with the mushrooms.Used brown rice.Declared very tasty.-11 Jul 2012
The peppers turned out very bitter even though I followed the recipe exactly. I will be looking for a different recipe for this.-20 Jan 2015